Company: IBM T.J.Watson Research
Email: wei DOT fan AT gmail DOT com
Email: weifan AT us DOT ibm DOT com
Dr. Wei Fan received his PhD in Computer Science from Columbia University in 2001 and has been working in IBM T.J.Watson Research since 2000. He published more than 60 papers in top data mining, machine learning and database conferences, such as KDD, SDM, ICDM, ECML/PKDD, SIGMOD, VLDB, ICDE, AAAI, ICML etc. Dr. Fan has served as Area Chair, Senior PC of SIGKDD'06, SDM'08 and ICDM'08, sponsorship co-chair of SDM'09, award commitee member of ICDM'09, as well as PC of several prestigious conferences in the area including KDD'09/8/07/05, ICDM'07/06/05/04/03, SDM'09/07/06/05/04, CIKM'08/07/06, ECML/PKDD'07'06, ICDE'04, AAAI'07, PAKDD'09/08/07, EDBT'04, WWW'09/08/07, etc. He is on the advisory board of KD2U. Dr. Fan was invited to speak at ICMLA'06. He served as US NSF panelist in 2007/08. His main research interests and experiences are in various areas of data mining and database systems, such as, risk analysis, high performance computing, extremely skewed distribution, cost-sensitive learning, data streams, ensemble methods, easy-to-use nonparametric methods, graph mining, predictive feature discovery, feature selection, sample selection bias, transfer learning, novel applications and commercial data mining systems. He is particularly interested in simple, unconventional, but effective methods to solve difficult problems. His thesis work on intrusion detection has been licensed by a start-up company since 2001. His co-authored paper in ICDM'06 that uses "Randomized Decision Tree" to predict skewed ozone days won the best application paper award. His co-authored paper in KDD'97 on distributed learning system "JAM" won the runner-up best application paper award.
Author of 6 resources
- Jing Gao, Wei Fan, Yizhou Sun, Jiawei Han, "Heterogeneous Source Consensus Learning via Decision Propagation and Negotiation", InProceedings, Proc. 2009 ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD'09), August 30, 2009, 271 downloads.
- Jing Gao, Bolin Ding, Wei Fan, Jiawei Han, Philip S Yu, "Classifying Data Streams with Skewed Class Distribution and Concept Drifts", InProceedings, IEEE Internet Computing (Special Issue on Data Stream Management), 12(6): 37-49, 2008, December 01, 2008, 480 downloads.
- Wei Fan, Kun Zhang, Hong Cheng, Jing Gao, Xifeng Yan, Jiawei Han, Philip S Yu, Olivier Verscheure, "Direct Mining of Discriminative and Essential Graphical and Itemset Features via Model-based Search Tree", Article, ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD'08), Las Vegas, NV, November 30, 2008, 441 downloads.
- Jing Gao, Wei Fan, Jing Jiang, Jiawei Han, "Knowledge Transfer via Multiple Model Local Structure Mapping", Proceedings, Proceeding of the 14th ACM SIGKDD international conference on Knowledge discovery and data mining, November 30, 2008, 575 downloads.
- Jing Gao, Wei Fan, Jing Jiang, Jiawei Han, "Knowledge Transfer via Multiple Model Local Structure Mapping", InProceedings, ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD'08), August 02, 2008, 365 downloads.
- Wei Fan, Kun Zhang, Jing Gao, Xifeng Yan, Jiawei Han, Philip S Yu, Olivier Verscheure, "Direct Mining of Discriminative and Essential Frequent Patterns via Model-based Search Tree", Proceedings, Proc. 2008 ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD'08), August 01, 2008, 602 downloads.